Murphy's Historic Building
The building was built in 1913 by German immigrant C.H. Schmidt.
He came from Germany in 1890 and married Miss Anna Schulze in 1891 and built their first store.
Mr. Schmidt started as a shoemaker and his wife baked cookies to sell in the store, along with sardines, sauerkraut in barrels. They bought produce and poultry from the local farmers and shipped them to Houston for resale. They eventually outgrew two buildings before they established the present building. The present building allowed them to start purchasing sugar, flour, coffee, seed fertilizer and grain that was delivered by the carloads by the trains.